Sunday, March 16, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

BOOK REVIEW:  Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

This is the seventh book of Clare's work I have read so far, having read first the Mortal Instruments series (up through the fifth installment).  I am so glad I read the Mortal Instruments series first because, although I was lukewarm about Clockwork Angel, I absolutely love Clockwork Prince.  It's going to be hard to complete the "dislike" list, so I will make a slight adjustment to the lists's title.

Three Things I Love:
1.  Setting = London:  I'm an admitted Anglophile and am drawn to any novel set in London, and Victorian London is even better.  The soot and dust covered streets and buildings, the hovels and destitute of Whitechapel, the grandeur of the churches and Parliament buildings calls to me through these stories and creates in me a longing to return to London and really explore.

2.  Richly constructed characters:  I wasn't sure I was going to even like Tessa in Clockwork Angel; however, she has turned into an independent, well-rounded character with integrity and honor despite those who attempt to lure her away or trick her.  In contrast, I loved Will Herondale from the first moment he was introduced in Clockwork Angel and he does not disappoint in Clockwork Prince.  He's a tortured soul, self-sacrificing and complex, rich in irony and conflict.  Equally endearing are Jem (the demon-venom addicted co-protagonist--I can't bring myself to call him a minor character or even a sidekick--who provides a really nice foil for Will, but at the same time refuses to shrink into the shadows) and Charlotte (the independent, no-nonsense mother figure).

3.  Plot nuggets:  Clare makes excellent use of the plot development of planting seeds that promise to germinate, grow, and blossom throughout the Infernal Devices series.  Despite the fact that some of these seem a bit obvious (i.e., ascendancy and demon pox--haha!), I have an inkling that some of the more subtle (and not-so-subtle) plot elements will also take root and flower into amazing creations.  Tessa's origins, for example, is intriguing, keeping not only the reader, but the characters guessing.  It makes for not only entertaining but fascinating reading.  More, please...

Three Things I Loved Less:
1.  Will's "trick":  I don't want to give too much away, but this "trick" was really obvious.  This plot point was frustrating because of being so obvious and took so long to resolve.  That being said, it was also a necessary part of the story, so I don't "dislike" it...I just loved it less.

2.  Cecily:  I have an icky feeling that Cecily is going to turn out to be an evil character, somewhat akin to Nate.  I'm hoping I'm wrong, but her introduction into the story struck me as ominous and her appearance at the end caused my hackles to rise.  I'd hate to see Will further tortured...

3.  Jessamine:  Okay, part of me likes Jessamine and understands where she is coming from.  She doesn't want the life her parents ran away from...she wants a "simpler" life...but honestly, she's a dingbat!  She doesn't trust, she doesn't think, and she's an entitled, self-righteous brat.  She has elements that make her less annoying, too, though, like when she bought Tessa new clothing in Clockwork Angel and when she...no...she's just annoying!

Overall, Clare has won me over with Clockwork Prince.  I'm going to get Clockwork Princess today!  I need to see how Jem and Tessa and Will and Charlotte and Henry continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

On the Heels of Writer's Digest Novel Writing Conference

Joy, pure joy, is what I'm feeling after returning from the 2017 Writer's Digest Novel Writing Conference in Pasadena, California. T...