Thursday, January 2, 2014

Who Needs New Year's Resolutions?

“For last year's words belong to last year's language And next year's words await another voice.” ― T.S. EliotFour Quartets 

As 2013 came to an altogether-too-rapid end, I blinked...and it became 2014.  Customary or not, I am not in the habit of setting resolutions for myself, although I all too well recognize the need to redouble my efforts at health and fitness goals (among many other goals) that have escaped me.

I do, however, really like the idea of long-range planning, and so it was with a lot of optimism that three years ago I met the 101 in 1001 list.  

This project is known as the Day Zero Project.  Here is a blurb copied from their website:

The Challenge:  Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days [2 years and eight-ish months].

The Criteria:  Tasks must be specific (i.e., no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined.  Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (i.e., represent some amount of work on your part).

Source:  Green, Michael.  Day Zero Project.  1 Aug. 2012.  Web.  2 January 2014. Day Zero Project

I admired my friend/colleague Colette’s list three years ago; this year, I revisit my mediocre first attempt and rise to the challenge renewed and refocused.  I started with the same baseline of Colette’s initial list from three years ago and adjusted/revised/edited according to my life and goals.  Colette had a great list on which to build.  

In reviewing my initial list, I was disheartened to realize I let so many good, solid goals slip away from me; or rather, I let the three years slip away from me without accomplishing the things I wanted to do.  This year, I am reviewing that list and thinking, "So, are these things I really, truly want to accomplish?  Or, are they just things that sound nice, in-a-perfect-world type things to think about?"  I want my list to be meaningful to me.  I want my list to be a challenge, but a reachable one.  I want my list to help me develop in the directions I truly want to grow in.  

But, despite my optimism, some part of me is also a realist.  I don't for even one minute think that a simple list is going to really help me grow.  I know that growth and development is going to have to come from me, from the seed of desire, the moment of realizing I have not become what I know I can become.  I feel that seed trying to sprout; in truth, I have always felt that seed trying to sprout, and I want to pull the weeds that are preventing it from sprouting like I know it can and will.  

So, who needs New Year's Resolutions?  Well, apparently I do.  I'm just going to approach it from a "lifestyle-change" point of view.  



8 comments:

  1. I'm glad to know the 101 list inspired you, but as you've probably seen from my own blogs, mine too has gone by the wayside. I like the perspective and energy you're approaching 2014 with! I'm trying to do the same. Little goals, each week building upon themselves. I succeeded this week (work out in the morning 4 times), and my goal for next week is to add one day. Once that becomes a habit, I'll pick additional goals. :) I don't like thinking of them as "resolutions" per se -- just a new take on the way I live my life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Colette! Credit where credit is due, right? I agree that building bigger goals on smaller goals is the way to go. It's about building a life, not about spontaneity.

      Delete
  2. Yay! You blog and talked about your 101 in 1001. I need to update all my blogs and this one will be top priority to talk about my 101. Thanks for sharing on FB. ~Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something to think about......Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on the new blog.

    A word of caution - most blogs die in the first 3 months. Find a frequency and/or a time of day you can commit to and keep at it for three months. By then you will have either developed a habit or decided that blogging is not for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katherine. I appreciate the tip from a veteran, successful blogger. In researching blogs over the past few days, I have noticed that the vast majority of them were abandoned a few years ago. It's too bad, really. Some were quite interesting.

      Delete

On the Heels of Writer's Digest Novel Writing Conference

Joy, pure joy, is what I'm feeling after returning from the 2017 Writer's Digest Novel Writing Conference in Pasadena, California. T...