Saturday, January 25, 2014

An Old Dog Learning New Tricks

Nothing makes me feel more like that "old dog" trying to learn new tricks than trying to learn to play the guitar.

Don't misunderstand me:  I LOVE music and LOVE trying new things and LOVE my patient, wonderfully understanding and talented teacher.  And, learning to play the guitar has always been on my list of things I want to accomplish.  However, I don't pick things up as easily as I once used to and I lack the free time learning to play properly requires.

As a former violinist (12 years classical training and one season with the San Diego Youth Symphony) and as a writing instructor, I appreciate the discipline required to achieve proficiency in any complex skill.  And I appreciate the dedication to practice this endeavor also requires.  I cringe when I come to the end of each week realizing that I was only able to practice one time for 30 minutes.  Or, even worse, not at all.

With that being said, I have been learning to play Kansas's "Dust in the Wind" for over a year now.  It's coming along, but I fear that it will never sound as good as the original one does--I'm too slow and not as agile as I'd like to think I should be.  However, at the slower tempo I play it, it doesn't sound bad and is even recognizable.  I'm elated at my ability to muddle through the entire song and have actually memorized it.  (It's a really long song, especially played at my slower speed!)  I've even managed to learn how to play a simple version of Carrie Underwood's "Two Black Cadillacs" with some level of proficiency.

With all of this said, I'm astounded at the rapid learning rate my two youngest children have in learning to play bass and guitar.  My daughter has mastered more songs much more quickly than I have and is even attempting some crazy bar chords that I don't think I could ever get the hang of.  And, my son has blasted through learning about seven songs on his bass guitar--he's getting good!  I love their fearlessness and that they embrace the learning curve.  Even when things get tough, they don't quit.  And, even though I have to nag them to remember to practice, they are getting better and running circles around my learning curve.

I'm not jealous of their successes...but I do think I'm a bit envious of their youth and agility and the attitude that they can conquer anything, things that seem to have been beaten down in me lately.  I do still believe in myself, but with middle age creeping up on me, I'm sometimes more aware of the time behind me than the time ahead of me.  I believe in being a lifelong learner and--darn it--if it takes the rest of my life, I promise to myself I will learn to play proficiently songs that make me happy and provide a level of peace to my harried life.

Maybe I need someone to nag me...

No comments:

Post a Comment

On the Heels of Writer's Digest Novel Writing Conference

Joy, pure joy, is what I'm feeling after returning from the 2017 Writer's Digest Novel Writing Conference in Pasadena, California. T...